Gorgeous Green Collagen Smoothie
Smoothies make it easy to eat healthily and stay full while on the go! When you make a smoothie don't overthink it. Keep a variety of fruits and vegetables on hand and get creative.
Here are the keys to a great smoothie:
When choosing your ingredients always look for quality and organic when possible:
- Coconut milk is a source of healthy fat. Look for a brand without gums and fillers.
- Choose organic greens. Cilantro and parsley are great for the liver and kidneys. Pro tip: If you buy pre-bagged greens you can pop them in the freezer to stay fresher longer. When you're ready add them to your liquid base and blend. One 5-ounce bag of greens is good for about 3 smoothies.
- Fresh mint leaves soothe digestion.
- Lemon (skin removed) is high in vitamin C and will keep your green smoothie from turning brown!
- Avocado is a source of healthy fat and is rich in potassium.
- Bananas are also rich in potassium. Pro tip: When bananas start to ripen peel, cut and then freeze them. You'll always have ripe bananas on hand for your smoothie.
- Pineapple contains digestive enzymes. Pro tip: Keep frozen berries and pineapple on hand and you won't have to worry about always keeping ripe fruit on hand.
- Pre-cooked beets are great for supporting liver health and are easily added to smoothies (they may make your smoothie look brownish-colored when mixed with colorful ingredients)
- Pro tip: Go heavier on the greens and lighter on the fruit to keep the sugar content in check.
- Start with a liquid base (water or nut milk of choice) and use 8 ounces per smoothie serving